Part 1 Short dialogs and multiple choice questions
1. A. The man thinks negatively about them while the woman is positive about them.
B. The woman thinks negatively about them while the man is positive about them.
C. Both the man and woman think they play a positive role.
D. Both the man and woman think they play a negative role.
2. A. They were cheap. B. The salesgirl talked her into doing so.
C. She wanted to give one to her sister.
D. She could enjoy a discount for buying two.
3. A. They are really too short. B. They are really too long.
C. They will look well if one wears suitable shoes.
D. They will look well if the tailor shortens them a bit.
4. A. The man won't go to the fashion show with the woman. B. The woman is a fashion designer.
C. The man sometimes follows the fashion trend.
D. The woman bought the tickets at high prices.
5. A. Shanghai has been on the same level with Paris. B. The chances of Shanghai becoming a fashion capital are small.
C. Shanghai may soon rival Paris and Milan .
D. Shanghai lacks the elements that make it a fashion leader.
6. A. Long skirts are in fashion this summer. B. She prefers to wear miniskirts.
C. She likes very long skirts.
D. She dislikes very long skirts.
7. A. He has little sense of style. B. He is good at choosing a tie that matches his shirt.
C. He likes polka dots.
D. He favors stripes.
8. A. She cleaned the man's shoes. B. She discarded the man's shoes.
C. She bought the man a new pair of shoes.
D. She helped the man look for his sneakers.
9. A. He was a late starter on his career path. B. Early success brings lifelong happiness.
C. Often there is a high price to pay for success.
D. A high salary is the key to satisfaction.
10. A. Idiots like to wear jeans. B. Gentlemen wear best-quality trousers.
C. Old-looking jeans are preferred.
D. New jeans are preferred.
11. A. It is worthwhile to buy the expensive sunglasses. B. It is not worthwhile to buy the expensive sunglasses.
C. Cheaper sunglasses sell well.
D. Expensive sunglasses sell well.
12. A. They are proud of their beautiful figures. B. They are too worried about their appearance.
C. They are beautiful.
D. They are too thin.
13. A. They are worthless people. B. They don't like to spend money.
C. They make too much money.
D. They spend too much money.
14. A. She is going to travel. B. She is going to blow it all immediately.
C. She is going to save it for future use.
D. She is going to invest it in a project.
15. A. They depend mainly on bookstores to get rich. B. They depend mainly on cheating.
C. They know the secret to getting rich.
D. They may not really know how to make a fortune.
16. A. To spend it at Christmas. B. To pay the tuition. C. To buy books. D. To pay for the accommodations.
17. A. The interest rates have been low. B. The interest rates would rise soon.
C. Her old computer did not work well.
D. The new computer was on sale.
18. A. When he borrows money from a friend. B. When he receives his salary.
C. Not until half a year later.
D. Not until a year later.
19. A. More than 30 pounds. B. Exactly 30 pounds. C. Less than 30 pounds. D. Less than 13 pounds.
20. A. Put all her money in the bank. B. Put her money in his hands.
C. Write down her decision to save.
D. Keep a record of her income and expenditure.
21. A. She will try her luck with a lottery ticket. B. She is sure she is going to win.
C. She wants to share the money she wins with the man.
D. She wants to buy the ticket by herself.
22. A. She would try to become a famous star. B. She would spend all of it on travel.
C. She would save all of it in a bank.
D. She would consider both saving and enjoyment.
23. A. He plans to travel around the world to enjoy himself at his 40s. B. He wants to lead a luxurious life.
C. He thinks money can buy happiness.
D. He hopes to save up money to help the poor.