explore(v.勘探，探测) transmit(v.传送，传递，传播) resource(n.资源) emerge(v.出现，为···所公认) yield(v.产生，出产，屈从，让步) pose(v.摆姿势，导致) assume(v.认为，假定，假设) confidence(n.信任信赖，自信心) inherit(v.沿袭，秉承，继承) comprehensive(a.综合的，多方面的)
1. Given the chance to show his ability, he regained confidence and began to succeed in school.
2. It is so difficult to explore the bottom of the ocean because some parts are very deep.
3. It was about 30 seconds before Alex emerged from the water; we were quite scared.
4. We often assume that when other people do the same things as we do, they do them for the same reasons; but this assumption is not always reasonable.
5. There is widespread concern that the rising unemployment may pose a threat to social stability.
6. After a(n) comprehensive physical exam, my doctor said I was in good condition except that my blood pressure was a little high.
7. It is well known that China is a country with rich natural resources and a very big population.
8. Some people believe that the earth can yield enough food to support at least twice its present population.
9. Sam inherited the gift of imagination from his family, but he lacked the driving power to take action.
10. A bee that has found honey is able to transmit to other bees the information they need in order to collect the honey.
classify分类归类acquire获得，取得，学到fashionable流行的especially特别的sample样品，标本prosperous繁荣的University students come from different parts of the country with various purposes. However, a closer look at their reasons for studying at the university will enable us to (1)classify them roughly into three groups: those who have a(n) (2)passion for learning, those who wish to (3)attain a bright future, and those who learn with no definite purpose. Firstly, there are many students who learn simply because they (4)pursue their goal of learning. Some read a wealth of British and American novels because they are keenly interested in literature. Others sit in front of the computer screen, working on a new program, (5)virtually day and night, because they find some computer programs (6)fascinating, and they dream of becoming a "Bill Gates"