1. A _____________ (light) cigarette burned a hole in his clothes.
2. A woman next to me ________ (weep) silently, her head bowed.
3. A world depression would have _______ (sink) all boats.
4. After he was released he put the plans on paper and __________ (begin) producing his calculators
5. After the earthquake only a few houses were ________ (leave) standing.
6. After the old gardener died, the garden ________ (grow) wild.
7. As she reached the age of thirty she _____________ (become) convinced she would remain single
all her life
8. as the trees _________ (spread) across the globe, so did the early creatures.
9. Astonishingly, 43 per cent of those new riders said they had _________ (ride) during that week.
10. Be careful, you could end up by getting_______ (hurt).
11. But these days, poverty ___________ (strike) North Korea badly needs economic aid and Seoul
wants better relations with Pyongyang to ease tensions.
12. By the time the fire-brigade arrived the fire had ___________(burn) itself out.
13. Day had __________ (break), and he cast his net for the last time.
14. Did you see his face when I _________ (show) him the falls?
15. Government officials who travel on business are _________ (give) traveling allowances.
16. Half the fruit crop __________ (freeze) out in the sudden severe autumn.
17. He ________ (shoot) four people dead and fled across town.
18. He _________ (fall) behind when we were climbing the mountain.
19. He _________ (give) me a lot of help. I owed much to him.
20. He _________ (sell) very specialized equipment for the electronics industry.
21. He __________ (foresee) that it would rain before morning.
22. He ____________ (rewind) the tape and replayed a few bits and pieces.
23. He came in and _______ (sit) on the edge of the bed.
24. He didn't buy drugs, for example, but he did sell _________ (steal) jewellery.
25. He had lost weight and the suit ________ (hung) loosely on him.
26. He had never ___________ (forgive) her for reporting his shortcomings in front of his friends.
27. He has ________ (cast) her as an ambitious lawyer in his latest movie.
28. He has got through all the money me _________ (lend) him.
29. He hid his earnings in a pocket _________ (sew) into the inside of his pants.
30. He knocked the tiger about fiercely until it _______ (lie) dead.
31. He says Haiti’s children also need schools _________ (rebuild) and basic social services.
32. He told me the name of the salesman to ask for and I __________ (shake) his hand.
33. He toured the United States in luxury Pullman cars, _________ (ride) the queen Elizabeth ocean
liner to Europe and fended off offers from western banks.
34. He was _________ (choose) as President because he was a fully qualified, charismatic statesman.