All the World Asks
On my first day in a college classroom, I felt like an overgrown child returning to civilization (文明世界) after having been lost in the forest for thirty years. There I sat, 1 enough to be a father to most of the students in the room, 2 unconfident enough to be their baby brother. We were crowded elbow (肘部) to elbow, listening to a 3 who looked even younger than the students. I felt uncomfortable and out of place as the professor carefully 4 what she expected us to learn. As I listened, I couldn't help but 5 of my own oldest daughter who was now beginning her first year in 6 , just like me. I remembered how hard I had tried to help build self-confidence in her and my other children. So why did I suddenly feel like a scared 7 myself? When I walked out of that classroom, I had serious 8 about my ability to make it 9 college. Not until late that night did my thinking 10 . It was a long-distance 11 from my daughter, my fellow college freshman (新生), that did the trick. She spoke on the phone about the doubts, worries and anxieties she was 12 . She was certain that she’d never 13 at college. How 14 her worries sounded. In my most confident parental 15 , I said, “Doing your best is all the world 16 .” The next day in class, those words still repeated in my head. When the professor raised a 17 for the class, nobody, including me, 18 to answer. When I looked around at the 19 and uncertainty on the young faces in that room, I knew 20 what I had to do: my best. That’s all the world asks. So I raised my hand, and the professor called my name. I spoke.
1. A. big B. tall C. old D. strong
2. A. and B. so C. or D. yet
3. A. professor B. teacher C. lecturer D. instructor
4. A. showed B. explained C. designed D.
5. A. think B. speak C. talk D. hear
6. A. school B. office C. classroom D.
7. A. father B. parent C. child D. son
8. A. fears B. doubts C. opinions D. ideas
9. A. over B. on C. with D. through
10. A. stop B. turn C. change D. continue
11. A. call B. talk C. report D. discussion
12. A. acquiring B. gaining C. experiencing D. feeling